Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
BMW has definitely stared down the grill haters.

Here's the thing though - most complaining are going on about their love of the older designs and their dislike of the new colours, partnerships with lifestyle brands and hyper aggressive grills.

BMW knows full well the M3 makes its brand. Future generations are giving up on cars. You have to appeal to them to give your brand legs going forward. And they are doing that ten times over - after all they only get to launch a new M3 every 7 years.

The older M buyers can retreat to a M5 or SUV or go back hardcore to a M2. The brand will live on through their hyped up M3 marketing.

And that's why they're smarter than the complainers.
These are valid points, but actually though, the X3 and X5 are the top sellers so if we define what makes a brand by what supports it financially, it's not the M3. As far as cultural relevance though, I agree, the M3 has the badge and name that carries the most weight as far as bimmers go. But what made the M3 so great? It's association with motorsports and it's reputation as a driver's car despite being based on a mass produced mid sized/small sedan. My issue is this: if the M3 "makes its brand" based on the reputation it's built from past models, why deviate so much from the trusted formula by constantly increasing the size and weight? Why not give new perspective customers the same things that they area already presenting–hyper aggressive styling, lifestyle brands, new colors etc–and still make a car that is under 3800lbs and the size of a large luxury sedan? I don't recall any youth trends asking for heavier and bigger for sports sedans.

Quote:
The older M buyers can retreat to a M5 or SUV or go back hardcore to a M2. The brand will live on through their hyped up M3 marketing.
Why would I want an M5 or SUV? That's a different type of vehicle.

That being said, the new M2 isn't out yet, so it remains to be seen if the M2 truly will be the M3 spiritual successor. Judging from the M2 CS though, the chances are high if they maintain that dedication on the new M2.

Quote:
And that's why they're smarter than the complainers.
If they were "smarter" they wouldn't have made such an ugly front. I actually don't mind the big grills, they just wasn't executed well. The CSL Heritage has big grills and it looks good IMHO, so I know it can be done right. If they were "smarter" they would be able to capture a new audience AND keep a good portion of their old one or not make a car so universally mocked for it's appearance by basically all automotive outlets. Do you think a new audience is going to be larger or smaller if that front end wasn't so mocked?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
JustChris17489.00
zamboni1132.00