Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Understood and Porsche should be applauded for it. BMW on the other hand just continue on the same trend it's always been on. The F80 didn't add weight but it grew bigger and added isolation in steering and a sterile overall experience. The G8X is again bigger and heavier but might add some more driver connection in terms of steering and sound. That front axle might also be more engaging. We will have to wait and see.
I have a different view. I find the F8X chassis to have much improved over the E9X, it is much more agile and playful. Lighter weight, more rigidity, hard mounted rear subframe all made that happen. What the F8X lost over the E9X is a little soul in the engine bay and some tactility in the steering, but overall it provided a much better driving experience for me, particularly on track. That moved up another notch with the M4cs, that brought back some of the "rawness" of the E46 (my DCT M4cs is within a few lbs of my old 6MT E46).
I agree with this delta of the F80 to the E9x. The F80 felt lighter to me (perhaps aided by the higher low end torque and stiffer chassis around corners) and was significantly faster than the e9x. This trend has stopped with the G80. Certainly it's going to feel heavier than the F80 and it's no faster. So what has it significantly improved on (good in bad weather and Idrive 7?) I don't think it was design...
Appreciate 0