03-16-2023, 07:42 PM   #3
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Sorry, long post, lots of thoughts...

I just got back from doing the BMW 2-day M School down in Thermal, CA. What a great experience, and program! Got a chance to drive the M4cx, as well as the M5cx, on track. Also drove the M2 on a shorter track, more of an autocross setup.

The M4 was a ton of fun on the track. It was riding on Continental tires, although not sure which ones, as they are the sponsor for the M School. Even though they are pretty much identical performance-wise, I was hoping to drive an M3 since that is what I have on order, but the students all drove M4s. We did do some hot laps with the instructors, who were driving M3s for whatever reason.

The G8X was everything I hoped it would be. Fast, comfortable, sounded great, and most importantly, it was really fun to drive and I felt connected to the car in the sense that I felt like it was highly responsive to my inputs, predictable, and it didn't surprise (or bite) me. I never felt like I was fighting the car to do what I wanted it to do. And it felt really balanced.

On one stretch, I accelerated to ~125mph and hammered the brakes just before a left-hand sweeper. I used trail braking going into the sweeper. If I went in too hot the response from the car was progressive and predictable, and it was really easy to bring it back in line. Note that we were driving in Sport Plus and Track mode, with DSC still active. DSC allowed for some slip and never felt intrusive (in line with what this video seems to show). Only when I made a few mistakes [...]
Great write up!
Thank you!
Appreciate 1