CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
Ok. I see. But the whole discussion imho can't be fully scientific anyhow. Too many variables in the game ... and too few datapoints. If you now start to take into account:
- tire development
- weather conditions during tests/datapoints
- overall track tarmac change over the years

and so on ... you end nowhere...
I think the basic question here was: Was BMW M lazy with their last model engineering wise or not compared to its history.
IMHO not! I think you also have to take into account, that (track) performance can't be linearly enhanced over the years (with a given base technology).
This happens nowhere, when we look at tech! So when looking at the delivered performance by BMW M - which still looks like linear improvements in tracktimes over the generations, this looks like a great achievement to me and a clear sign, that M rather intensified its effort with the last generations ...
It still is "scientific", we just need to understand the variables. As having spend a big portion of my professional career in test engineering, I fully understand that a single data point does not mean much. It is much better to rely on multiple data points, discard the outliers and establish overall trends. There's no such thing as absolutes.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0