LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
This is BMW's problem. In a world where driving dynamics mean nothing, why buy a BMW over a Mercedes or Audi? Both of the latter have better interiors and aren’t trending towards hideous design, and are typically more comfortable. Reliability becomes a moot point with electric drivetrains.

Counterpoint to the “expensive drivers car:” a Miata is much more fun to drive than any new BMW. Honestly, F series and G series BMWs (with the exception of the 2er) are bloated, numb cars - and they were intentionally made this way.

BMW is going to be the new Cadillac if it continues down this path.
It is their problem for sure and they are attempting to solve it. We're just not happy with their solutions, but that doesn't mean we're right and they are wrong. They are may be seeing the shifting sands better than we are.

I think BMW is, like MB and some others, pushing new "lines" with their shift now as they are probably looking for an easier time aggressively breaking from the past. Meaning they are free to be much different with the iX than an X5 and get a better read of the market...

But the regulatory environment is much tricker now for sure. Many countries are taxing cars heavily, including hefty annual taxes, based on pollution. Car makers also are getting hit with ever aggressive fuel economy penalties as well. Helping to push fun to drive cars that aren't already sold into niche territory.

I'm definitely not going to advocate brand loyalty though. My current BMW is my very first one and if they don't impress me by the time I'm looking to buy again it will be something else. They have a lot of work to do to keep me interested!

I just lament the future where driving is dull and done by the car and we're all just ordering driverless Uber cars all the time.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Frosty772.50