View Single Post
      07-15-2022, 02:46 PM   #9
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I'm scared like hell to get my car aligned. Especially when it comes from the factory, perfect. I can't remember a time that I got my car aligned, when it didn't need the steering wheel to be readjusted. They mess mine up, everytime, and most of the time, I'm stuck with it being a little off, because they test drive it, 2-3 times, adjust it, tell me it's good, and it's not.

beachBmmr explained it best in post #3. If you want the rear in OEM spec, and keep it as low as you want to keep it, you're likely going to need to get some rear adjustability.

I'm not sure why every manufacturer doesn't just build rear adjustability into the cars, but they don't. Likely because, by their spec, without lowering the car, it can never get into a spec where it needs to be adjusted. If you want maximum tire longevity, you're going to want to get it into the green. If you don't care about tires, and just want that alignment spec, just leave it how it is.
Yup, same issue drove me nuts when I had my old F87C aligned at a local dealer.
I went in 3 times to correct it and every single time they make the steering wheel off center to the opposite direction!! lol
So went ahead and adjusted the toe myself.
If you mark the toe adjustment nuts and then turn both sides equal amount on the OTHER direction, you can adjust the steering wheel angle without messing up the whole alignment.
For example left wheel inwards, right wheel outwards for steering wheel that is off center to the right, vise versa for the other direction.

It took a good while to adjust it to be perfectly center because I turned the nuts a little too much on my 1st trial and then a little too less on the 2nd lol.
It only takes maybe a 30° turn to correct a slightly crooked steering wheel.
It's a tedious job but the steering wheel was perfectly centered after about an hour of fiddling!
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13629.50