Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
To Think About What Could've Been - Of Cabbages and Kings

Alternatives to the Beaver Teeth grills
It doesnt matter what you show as that addresses a couple of meh looking cars they released. The point of the video was to say that in general, BMW corporate direction now is evidently missing the boat and it is perhaps too late.

If BMW wants to fix this, they will need 4-7 years. By that point whatever they invest into will be obsolete technology wise - thats what happens when you compete on technology and not on 1) quality 2) engineering 3) driving fun. They always could beat those American car companies, and easily, because those things were not the focus of american car companies, but as cars got very good those things were nice differentiating factors in the West.

BMW then decided to compete (arrogantly) with one american car company on same values as in past, plus technology. And as we all know, americans may not built prittiest or highest quality cars in past, but they sure as sh.t know how to make technology work. It's a risk taking culture thing. Americans are best at it. Sometimes it blows up but on average, things move along pretty nicely vs the cautious approach in European execs who also make mistakes, but usually far worse on a bigger scale. And BMW walked into this, like everyone else, trying to make a technology product. They will probably lose.

VAG might have a chance as their investment into RIMAC could pay off with the driving technology bits. However by then Tesla is going to be about Autonomous driving and again leaving old school companies behind.

Asian car makers will be competition to Tesla, not European. Europe doesn't have much edge in technology, might as Germany try. So I think Toyota and especially South Korean brans will be the one on the up and up, as they have the comparable knowledge of making smart tech and they have the car knowledge.

Now, Tesla Im sure would like to learn how to make better cars as far as quality goes, but I think they are not dumb enough to approve designs like BMW iX and M3-4.

I think Tesla will just poach top quality engineers from other car companies like BMW, thereby hastening their demise.

There is a chance something might change in BMW but as you see, sales are OK so far, and it is impossible to fire those people at the top without them losing sales for may be 2 years or so. This is a trap. Their sales are good because vast amount of buyers still happy to churn ICE engine cars as full EV mode wont suit all (range, charging, etc). By that point, given the pace of tech it will be too late to save BMW. They will be selling off some brands, and they are very rich. But I cant imagine anyone lusting over these nasty Ix cars or whatever.

BMW needs a massive shakeup, top end designer, and an Apple partnership to stay relevant. Apple though, I think, doesn't wanna deal with BMW so - good luck to BMW.
Appreciate 0