View Single Post
      09-13-2023, 08:30 PM   #114
speed130
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 Convertible, 2020 X3 M

I’ve had both and have driven roughly 200k miles between them, a 6MT Coupe which was lost in a garage fire (still not over it) and now a SMG Convertible for the past 16 years. They are each different driving experiences but there is something to be said about learning the SMG’s tendencies while pushing the car properly and having the option to cruise around with it shifting itself. It’s a nice trade off for those that don’t want to or physically can’t consistently deal with three pedals.

I recall a little less then half of e46 M’s were produced with the SMG but is was a $2400 option at the time. The value of manuals have risen because they no longer make them. They no longer make them because less and less people were buying them and modern cars were becoming too powerful for most people to handle ie the need to driver aids programmed through the engine, transmission and differential(s). It is enthusiasts that are driving-up prices because properly sorted cars (especially those remaining stock) are getting rarer and rarer. It’s supply and demand.

And I do very much miss my 6MT e46 M3 Coupe. It was the best, most complete GT car I’ve ever had. Which is why I’m not surprised to see prices increase. People should be chasing them! They’re well worth it. There is no other chassis/driving experience quite-like the e46 M3, regardless of transmission.
Appreciate 0