09-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #1671
BBoyM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition AW/SO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sguler View Post
I am jumping to a 2020 911 S because bmw haven't made an M3 available. I don't like this because I care about m3's practability. In any case I don't think cost of ownership is that high for a Porsche - considering they hold their values somewhat okay. Also I am purchasing a 5 year maintenance plan for $5k.
I've owned three Porsches: 2007 Cayman S, 2009 Cayman S, and 2014 911. They are incredible cars not doubt.

I went from the 911 to a 2018 M2 to a 2018 M3. At the dealership (which is the only place I'd take mine), oil changes on the 911 were approximatel $600 ($460 with coupon if timing was right). Tune-ups (plugs) were $2,700. In the year I owned the 911, they did $8,400 in warranty work (PCM, multiple PCM reprogrammings becasue it wouldn't hold settings, steering wheel, and both taillights). For me at least, those are some pretty steep numbers. Worth the experience - yes. For everyone - no.

As for holding their value: Porsches are all about mileage - the more you drive them, the more they lose. Once they settle out around 5-6 years, they smooth out hold their values reasonably well. However, buy it earlier than that and drive it 10K+ per year, and you will experience some steep depreciation. Just one man's experience.

I'm super excited about the G80 M3. I don't think that the production car will be as extreme as the concept (one member posted on another threaad a really nice comparison of recent BMW concept vs. production cars which showed how they get toned-down - sometimes significantly). In a way I love evolution (Porsche/BMW), but I also feel that you occassionally have to stretch beyound your comfort zone to get to the next level. I wasn't a fan of the Bangle era (especially after the E46 which I love), but in reality it changed car design for BMW and many other companies. Personally, I have found that it takes me a while to understand and appreciate drastic design changes. However, once I "get it", I tend to really like it. Now, not all designs fall into that category, but the good ones do. My two cents.

Last edited by BBoyM3; 09-24-2019 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25113.50
JTO245276.00
OF Hero1133.00