03-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #37
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG80M3 View Post
Not facetious. I learned to drive on a manual, and have mostly owned manual transmission cars. To me, driving an automatic is like playing a video game. Gas - go, break - stop, wheel - steer. Real cars require real control of the engine and the only thing that truly gives a driver control of the engine is the clutch. I am buying the M3 with the manual transmission. To argue that the automatic has "more power" is true, but an argument that falls flat with me because the "more power" is not controlled by the driver.
I am driving both and come from a manual only culture where a driver’s licence is mandatory to be obtained on a manual transmission.
Yet, your post is not true as the power is not controlled by the driver different that different than an automatic. If you reffer to the clutch pedal when you release some of the power, that while can be interpreted like that, you are actually punishing the clutch disk which will suffer in a certain way or worn out sooner than normal.
Power control comes actually from the acceleration pedal in both cases. The way you connect the power doesn’t really matter except in vary rare cases like snow or mud, or whatever when a slow release might help a little.
Otherwise, both cars can be controlled very well.
In top of that a ZF transmission can be driven manual as well if you wish so.
Appreciate 0