View Single Post
      10-08-2023, 02:48 PM   #26
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Reviving this thread, I keep coming back to look at Taycan. They are just so cool and the ultimate dad wagon for me…

My wife has a Kia Telluride which we will swap for the new Kia EV9 next year (3 row electric SUV) so tempted to go all
Electric and get solar panels on the house etc

Has anyone any concern that everyone seems to moving towards NACS/Tesla charging standard but Porsche seem not to be yet? Maybe they get aligned eventually. Can you use an adaptor to use Tesla charging stations yet?

Mostly will be charging at home but you know when you want to charge your phone but your friend has an android and you have an iPhone…it’s a bit annoying

The other thing is the prices are dropping aggressively on Taycan and Audi E-Tron GT. Tesla price drops are filtering through big time!!
Hello! Here's my Take on the Taycan (lol). Please run this through the filter of me being: a current Porsche owner (SUV's and in the past two 911's), a past EV owner (Tesla Model 3 AWD, Model 3 Performance), a general EV fan and someone who strongly considered a Taycan for the last 24 months. I've driven every trim of Taycan except the GTS and the wagons. In the case of the 4S, I've driven about 6 or 8 of them.

First, considering the state of the EV network: pray that the NACS adaptor comes quickly. The CCS network in general in this country is a huge crapshoot. Tesla network much, MUCH better. How opening it up to non-Tesla vehicles impacts that should be interesting.

On the Taycan in general, I have many thoughts. My overarching view is that it is first and foremost a Porsche. Second, it is very much a first gen EV product on what is MOSTLY a ground up platform but in reality is a highly, highly modified Panamera platform. This shows in it's poor packaging. It's a big car outside but not big inside. Getting in the driver's seat can be challenging for those that are tall, particularly in the torso. The rear seat is cramped, especially in headroom, although the wagon version helps that quite a bit. The car is not that fast for an EV....a 4S is slower than a Model 3 performance. Turbo is faster. Have not driven a GTS.

The software is....Porsche. Meaning it's not class leading in any way in general (I have the same software in my '23 Cayenne) and EV wise isn't the best.

But...it's a Porsche. The 800V architecture has been used properly and it charges like a BEAST. One of the best charging curves in the biz. The car handles and steers. Oh my it's like an....well, an electric Porsche! Even vs. the platform mate the ETron GT, it is a cross between a Cayman and a Panamera. It is absolutely fun to fling around. I think they look cool as hell especially in sedan form. They are a joy to steer and drive. Inputs are smooth. There is no one pedal driving but the blended braking is much, much better than in my Cayenne hybrid.

So why didn't I get one?

For one thing, the pricing really hadn't started to drop when I made my decision. Second, while I think it's a great product, I see it getting passed by quickly. It's very telling that Porsche has chosen to develop a TRULY all new ground up architecture (PPE I think?) to underpin the new cars. EV Macan and Boxster, and the Audi Etron Q6 will all be on this architecture to start. In my case, I plan on keeping my G80 for 5-7 years and I felt like the Taycan would be woefully out of date by then. Also, I wanted a car I could road trip in and I don't trust the CCS network right now. Lastly, I wanted a do it all fun car that wouldn't make me miss my Turbo S too much and I felt that going to an EV would be a bridge too far in that regard. Again, I like EV's but they DO lack some soul (though not as much as the luddites would have you believe).

So I'd recommend one if you're going to have it for 3 years or so. Lease a 4S and get something else when that comes out.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 3
barryc3651959.00
Aalfred2653.50