02-24-2024, 11:41 PM   #183
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The new Awron PnP harnesses installs the same way, you can see the EVC actuator connectors on the harness. The Awron module automatically goes into diagnostic mode (bypassed) when equipment is plugged into the OBD2 - all working together with the OEM ecosystem. There's no need to remove the kit for service, as the dealership won't find what they aren't looking for.

This picture shows an unassembled view of the Awron module. Awron units use an aluminum enclosure and invested in their own in-house SMT pick & place machines for assembly - these are professionally built as automotive electronics is their primary field. Mating connectors are AMP/Tyco, just like BMW uses, no shortcuts are taken.

CG Precision VSC-2
Numerous failures. Not worth reviewing.

Dahler
On the left is a picture the Dahler kit posted a couple of weeks ago. Among the wiring spring clamps (not recommended for automotive environments, due to vibration), I was a bit surprised to see they're powered by a $8 ATMega32u4 Adruino board and remote/receiver module, you can see the hand soldering and leftover flux on the header pins. Certainly not even in the ballpark of the $520 they're getting for the kit.

Dahler Kit Components
ATMega32u4 Adruino board - $8
QIACHIP Wireless 433Mhz RF Module Receiver - $7
433mhz remote - $1.57
Plastic project box, Miscellaneous daughterboard & wiring - $n/a

SST
Got a SST EVC module in and opened it up to see what's inside - amazing, - its almost identical to the Dahler unit and also using the $8 ATMega32u4, not surprised as these are typical for homebrew units.

SST Kit Components
ATMega32u4 Adruino board - $8
QIACHIP Wireless 433Mhz RF Module Receiver - $7
433mhz remote - $0.88
Plastic project box, Miscellaneous daughterboard & wiring - $n/a

In the end, one can clearly see the Awron has much higher build quality, more features, and OEM integration & professional build quality
Couple points here:

1) I don't think the VSC2 is not worth reviewing. Majority of the failures were from people who mounted the controller incorrectly (i.e. to a piece of the exhaust) instead of following the instructions. I ran one for a while before switching cars and to the SST (which I impulse purchased as a "backup" in case my VSC2 failed, which it never did) and had no issues and mine never failed (due to correctly installing it). I still actually have it on a box as my new backup, actually.

2) What are the AWRON's BOM costs? I'm not sure why plastic, wiring, and assembly is "n/a," these have real costs?

3) I think it's pretty disingenuous to compare part costs without a) saying what AWRON's are and b) not considering things like time and effort to develop the firmware that's flashed on these (albeit readily available), getting a return on running their distribution for selling them, offering things like warranties and support, returns, refurbishment, production, etc. I'm sure you're well aware there are a lot of costs that aren't exactly tangible in a piece of hardware for the end product.

This is not to say AWRON's product isn't objectively better. As someone who doesn't own one, I think it is. Straight up. It offers more functionality and more flexibility. I just personally don't think it's worth it as I don't really care for any of the features it offers over any of the more "dumb" offerings. I felt the need to comment on this comparison for the reasons I posted above and I don't think it's fair to "look down" on any of these products just because they're not yours. I get that you're trying to push your product, but be fair about it.

They offer a similar path to identical functionality (but without some of the fine tuning stuff) for a little less (VSC2) or more (SST) than half the price for those that don't want to mess with running wires along the various panels and door frames along the entire length of their car just to get some valve control.

(I'm not even considering the Dahler here because that's just expensive for no reason)
Appreciate 0