///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
You installing the front lip yourself?

I went to tackle it yesterday afternoon and had a hell of a time trying to get the 8mm bolt off so that I could remove the two gloss black pieces. Never got past it and gave up for the night. Didn't want to risk damaging anything.
I was going to get a body shop to install it ($300-$500), but I asked my detailer if they could do it and they said yes*. I'm doing a full body PPF + windshield protection + ceramic coat on wheels/brake calipers, and they're projecting it'll take 2 weeks to finish.

*they'd previously told me to come with it installed, but when I took the car to them in person, they were very excited to see it and were able to fit me in immediately (same day) and said yes to whatever I wanted installed, vs. being scheduled out a month or two for just PPF.

So my detailer's going to install:
- front splitter
- rear winglets
- side markers
- door sills

Most of the above is "free" given disassembly already required (like door handle removal and reinstall, remove wing + reinstall, etc.). But they are taking me to town on the total cost (13K; painful but I have to commit given how 'invested' I am at this point). There's a place that does it cheaper (~$8K) but I don't know about the quality of PPF work at the other place unfortunately. The other place did window tint for me before on another car and left cut marks on my windshield that they then polished out. So yeah... I'm paying a substantial premium for quality and peace of mind.

But I guess I'm getting some relief from the higher labor costs associated with even port installs on the extra parts.
chicagofan0018923.00