02-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #51
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Not stock. Suspension, good alignment, tune, Hoosiers and pads. I seem to be doing similar times as C7 GS. Not sure about C8, I need to see more at the track, time will tell.

The C7Z is very hard to drive really well, and forget about playing with it at the limit. I’ve personally witnessed 2 instructors wrecking their cars on a colder day at VIR on a November track day. They can be very spooky once you’re really cooking, and many drivers back off at that level.

The M3 runs fine in November, and mid July, and when it rains. It’s easier to maximize the potential of the M (which I am far from doing).

I guess I’ve come to the general conclusion that these 1 second, 2 second (or even 10 second differences on the Nurburgring) truly don’t mean squat. It’s how the car responds to a certain level of skill, let’s call it middle level, that is represented by what you see on track days. Anyway by the time you get to run in Intermediate or Advanced, most cars are not stock anymore, and some of them are extremely far from stock. Passing or getting passed is just a hopefully minor inconvenience, best dealt with as quickly as possible so you can resume the experimentation. Unless you’re playing with a buddy of course. Car brands and models are almost irrelevant.
I agree a C7GS will be A LOT quicker on a track vs a C8 stingray if both drivers are equal just because the wider wheels/tires and bigger brakes. Not to mention the manual has better gearing and the gearing in the C8 stingray doesn't suit most US tracks. Or at least the popular ones.

The C7Z is a handful to control, even in stock form. I know i have one. The best anyone can ever do if they own these cars is to actually get a slower car and learn car control first, then step up if they want to take their C7Z at the track. The issue with most corvette owners is a lot of them use their ego to drive. Which means they'll take their car out, even during a warmup lap, with their cup2's and then turn everything off. That's how one of our fellow corvette members lost his yellow C7Z. There was a gigantic thread following that accident. Some people felt bad for him. Some people gave him so much shit for not learning about the car before just setting out, and giving it 100% throttle, 2 minutes into your first lap, on cup2's. The PDR shows he gave it 100% throttle and he couldn't control it. The car was totalled.

I disagree however about the 1-2 second lap time. While 1 second probably means nothing at the ring because there's many factors that contribute to those lap times, just remember as cars or times get faster, every second DOES count.

For instance if a C7Z can run the ring at 7:13 and then you take your M3, and run 7:11, your car is blistering fast.

But if a car ran 7:55 at the ring, and you took your M3 and ran 7:52. Then yeah that probably means nothing.
Appreciate 0