View Single Post
      12-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #179
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Thank you. This is such great advice. My RWD M3C arrived at the dealer and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or drop it and order the AWD instead.

For me:
- I don't race at stoplights so that's not an issue.
- I'm new at the track and don't really care about my times. I care more about learning to drive properly. Maybe RWD is better to learn on?
- I live in a warm climate where the worst we have is some rain. I would however appreciate the additional safety of AWD, but that's probably more in my head than a real need.
- I will not take the M3C to the limit on public roads so even if AWD is faster, I won't reach those limits anyway.
- I prefer saving the $$ with the RWD, but it's an expensive car already so paying a bit more for AWD wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Given all this, I would say the RWD is a better choice for me. I am however looking for "a reason" that RWD is actually better in some way to make me excited about having RWD instead of AWD. You know, like people get a manual instead of an automatic because they're excited about that option, not because it's cheaper or faster. I guess RWD is cheaper. That's about it.
Sure, RWD is:
- cheaper
- simpler (less stuff to break/maintain)
- lighter (theoretically more agile and better steering feel...although real world tests suggest it's minimal at best)
- more traditional M car

Feel better?