View Single Post
      07-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #369
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Indeed my comments and observations come from doing 200,000 miles in MDCT equipped cars e92/F10/F80 so hopefully I have a decent understanding of how MDCT feels to drive, the rawness has gone with M ZF8 (I also had an SMGII e46 and M DCT is limp wristed compared to the emotion in that gear box but that is a marmite application if ever there was one)

In terms of manual M's I've had one and the gearbox was a huge let down just awful and let the rest of the car down, I'll never get another manual M after that. For me compared to S2000/Porsche/type R etc... they are poor and quite embarrassing that M think they are fit for purpose, long throw, vague, notchy and rubbery and loose all at the same time, rifle bolt they are not.

But to each his own.
Yeah I don’t agree with the MT part, I’ve owned six MT BMWs and they’ve all had some BMW trademarks as slightly high and long clutch engagement, semi long throws and a bit rubbery feel. However In my case it’s just an annoyance when you switch from something like a 911 or Honda. My body quickly adapts to the BMW and shifting is precise and never fail if you do it right. I’ve never had an MT fail on me or wear out. It’s been good stuff including the F80.

As much as I love MT I’m not a die hard and todays ATs including DCTs are worth swapping in and out of for me personally. No doubt MT is a more satisfying way to shift though.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
ra2289305.50