07-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #368
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Unfortunately I think this is a main part of the experience the DCT fans are looking for. I know it was for me when I had my E90 M3 with M-DCT and compared to ZF equipped cars which I never bothered paddle shift of this very reason, though none of them had the general racy character of the M3 to be fair. That said if the ZF G8X result in car that feels faster and more responsive at all times I think I will adapt quickly, I have seen very little complaints of journalists reviewing the Alfa QV in this regard as an example. If not, I’ll still get over it while enjoying the AWD factor as a give and take

I’m going from an MT so the change is already massive, go big or...
Indeed my comments and observations come from doing 200,000 miles in MDCT equipped cars e92/F10/F80 so hopefully I have a decent understanding of how MDCT feels to drive, the rawness has gone with M ZF8 (I also had an SMGII e46 and M DCT is limp wristed compared to the emotion in that gear box but that is a marmite application if ever there was one)

In terms of manual M's I've had one and the gearbox was a huge let down just awful and let the rest of the car down, I'll never get another manual M after that. For me compared to S2000/Porsche/type R etc... they are poor and quite embarrassing that M think they are fit for purpose, long throw, vague, notchy and rubbery and loose all at the same time, rifle bolt they are not.

But to each his own.