CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's interesting to read near diametric opposite testimonials/viewpoints about the same thing. One person says shift times suck while an owner states the shift time differences are indiscernible.
I guess it depends on what is included in or how the shift time is defined. First there's the response time, the time it takes between paddle actuation and the initiation of the shift and then there's the actual shift time, the time it takes for the transmission to mechanically execute the shift.

I'll copy what I pasted in an other thread because I believe it is pertinant to this discussion:

Planetary automatics have indeed significantly closed the performance gap with DCT, but they aren't quite there yet. While the reported "shift times" are very close, it is what happens during those miliseconds that makes the difference. The various clutch packs inside the planetary auto cannot handle an all out power shift, so the engine needs to momentarily cut back on power during the shift. Which is not the case with DCT, where the DCT can recuperate the inertia of the engine RPM drop and convert it in forward acceleration. With the planetary auto, there's a momentary reduction in acceleration during the shift (your head bobs forward), with the DCT there is a surge of acceleration during the shift (your head bobs rearward). The latter is much more satisfying from a sporty driving standpoint and offers a slight performance edge.

I recently had the opportunity to test drive my buddies G90 M5 back to back with his new 992 PDK C4 and my DCT M4cs. The G90 M5 is one fantastic machine, but my biggest dissapointment with the car was the transmission. It feels heavy and slugging compared to the PDK and DCT. I found the response on upshifts on the ZF 8AT were very quick, but the response on downshifts were a bit laggy.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
pbar1400.00
somer966.00