View Single Post
      07-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #358
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's interesting to read near diametric opposite testimonials/viewpoints about the same thing. One person says shift times suck while an owner states the shift time differences are indiscernible.
Yes - I also find this very interesting and would love to understand whether it's a difference in expectations, a difference in setup, a difference between vehicles, or something else.

I test drove an X3M Competition for 30 mins with the transmission in the fastest shift mode, using it in 'manual mode' like I do with my F82. I found it frustrating (and night-and-day difference from the M2Comp I drove next). I am definitely not interested in buying an auto G8x if it drives like the vehicle I test-drove. I would rather bite the bullet and teach myself to drive an MT with the 'wrong hand'.

There is more than one track review of the M8 (with the same transmission) where the reviewers complain about lag on downshifts. I linked to one in the previous length DCT/AT thread. So it's not just 'one person' ... clearly some people are just having frustrating experiences.

I am willing to believe that the M-ZF8 is a great transmission in 'full auto' mode - but I just didn't buy an M car to drive it in full auto. Much like the DCT on my M4, I find that the car's choice of gear maddening in anything below D3, but I don't *always* want to drive around all the time with the revs above 3000. The paddles give me the choice of when I want/need high revs and when I don't - just like a manual. The only difference is that the execution of shifts is about 5x faster than an MT.

I can see that there are plenty of people who like the ZF8 transmission a lot - and maybe it suits their driving style. They are obviously entitled to their opinions. But I find it hard to reconcile the many comments that "it's just the same" will the test-drive experience that I had. I continue to hope that there was just a problem with the vehicle I drove and that I'll be blown away by the G82, since I struggle to think of another car that suits my lifestyle.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50