01-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #15
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
That's my understanding. Per the owner's manual:

"The M Engine Dynamics Control affects the response of the vehicle to accelerator pedal movement."

In highway cruising, what would be the purpose of changing the rate of fuel consumption, as you say? You're cruising, why on earth wouldn't you want the best fuel economy possible?

My F80 was the same. What older M cars are you referring to?
It appears I’ve been wrong for decades on this. Or the owner’s manual isn’t telling the whole story. I’ve always believed, perhaps incorrectly, that sport mode (from the days of the old sport button) is more than just throttle position mapping. That it was actually, in essence, a tune which affected fuel maps and other items. I thought that about e46 M3. e39 M5. M coupe. And other OG M cars. In addition to my newer ones.

I just read an interesting thread (now that you’ve got me scratching my head on this) from the 2000s, discussing this same issue. There, it seems that the consensus was that pressing the sport button does increase fuel consumption, but only because it changes driving habit. And that a robot driving both cars would see equal consumption.

Who knows. But what I do know is that when I’m on the highway cruising, I switch back to the efficient/comfort mode often, because for whatever reason, it seems to save me money!
Appreciate 1