Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Sport and sport plus just change the gas peddle sensitivity, it should have no effect on gas mileage. Perhaps you drive more aggressively when in those settings?

When in auto mode, the setting that impacts gas mileage the most is the drive mode (D1, D2, D3) and of course how fast you drive and accelerate. In sequential mode, it's all about how you drive.

Am I wrong?
Are you sure it’s literally just the gas pedal sensitivity? At least in older M cars, my understanding was that the actual fuel mapping (and other things) changed with a press of the sport button. I may be wrong.

My G80 is a manual. And I can tell you that changing the engine mode in my car, even just on the highway cruising, changes the rate of fuel consumption. And it appears to do so materially. I also found this in my 2020 M2C.
That's my understanding. Per the owner's manual:

"The M Engine Dynamics Control affects the response of the vehicle to accelerator pedal movement."

In highway cruising, what would be the purpose of changing the rate of fuel consumption, as you say? You're cruising, why on earth wouldn't you want the best fuel economy possible?

My F80 was the same. What older M cars are you referring to?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0