Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Most miss that this is the reality: The manual transmission is a low take rate option that is detrimental to both performance and efficiency. It has become a toy, In premium vehicles it exists purely for the enjoyment of a small (but vocal) group of owners who are willing to take a less capable vehicle because of the "feel". That is fine by me they just have to vote with their wallets that the development dollars should be spent there vs on other options.
What exactly is the reality?

Fundamentally, a car exists to get you from Point A to B and most everything else beyond that (not just the type of transmission) exists for enjoyment whilst you move from A to B. So the reality is the sports performance cars like M cars are all toys, not just the (manual) transmission.

And the only thing "less capable" about manuals vs. auto is the former may take you a tad longer to get to B. This tad is measured in seconds or split seconds, in which the reality is this time difference is immaterial unless you're racing.

The only real reality I see is in your last sentence about voting with the wallet. Yes, manual cars have become an insignificant minority but I don't see anyone really denying that.
So you don't see the manual experience as materially different than auto??? You cant have it both ways.

I am all for bmw producing 6mt if the take rate is there for the toy transmission. But if you want it be sure to vote with your wallet.

In the M3/m4 owners in the current gen are voting yes but in the 340/330 they are voting no thanks. Most of the 6mt buyers I encounter (obviously an anecdotal evaluation) either buy new once in a great while or secondhand which means their vote doesn't count. If you want manuals get everyone you know on the new every 3 leasing strategy.
Appreciate 0