09-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #112
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
There are indeed some great vehicles out there that are still available with a manual transmission.

But, as I mentioned in another thread recently, these are all coupes. As of the end of next month when the F30/F80 officially go out of production, there will be *zero* sedans left in the US with a manual transmission paired to an engine with more than four cylinders and more than ~300hp. The only one with more than 300hp, the Subaru WRX STi, has just 310hp and is really the last one left that could be called a performance sedan. The rest are bargain sub-compact, compact or in a couple cases, family-sized sedans. Oh, and the new Genesis G70 with the four cylinder engine only and the upcoming new Jetta GLI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Don't forget US brands. 6MT in the Camaro SS 1LE makes the 6MT in the F80 feel like a delicate flower. Also a corvette or mustang can be had in manual. Sure, these cars aren't for everyone, but they are surprisingly good to drive. Materials, image/stereotypes, etc are things you need to overlook, but if you do... they are capable machines.

Oh and don't forget MX-5/Miata, 370Z, civic type R, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, BRZ/GT86/FRS... some decent cars in that bunch too.

7% is still a good chunk of sales, seems weird to risk losing all those customers.
Most miss that this is the reality: The manual transmission is a low take rate option that is detrimental to both performance and efficiency. It has become a toy, In premium vehicles it exists purely for the enjoyment of a small (but vocal) group of owners who are willing to take a less capable vehicle because of the "feel". That is fine by me they just have to vote with their wallets that the development dollars should be spent there vs on other options.
Appreciate 0