First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Yes, BMW's "M-branding" plan works for BMW. Until the M brand becomes worthless. Which is will if the mass-appeal cars become identical to every other manufacturer's option (Audi/BM).

The bought the right car for BMW's profit margin, the wrong car for them (in terms of the way it handles).

With the G80, it will be the right car for BMW's profit, and the right car for their use case. But the wrong car for any driving enthusiast, and eventually that reputation will render the M "brand" worthless.
I don't think that will happpen. There will always be differentiation between the different manufacturers and hence the brand will not be worthless, since it still stands for the highest performing cars within the BMW lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Now that is actually an interesting idea. However, I've never been the kind of person who buys a car and spends $20K modifying it - I bought M cars because I largely didn't need to change things.

The question is... should I spend 20K making a G82 into the car I want (with all the maintenance/warrant hassle that implies), or should I buy an AMG E53 with a DCT and improve the handling?
Yeah $20k isn't worth it, the shop offered the conversion for the old supra for only 3k. Also, the E53 has a torque converter as well, only the V8 have the multiclutch transmission:
Quote:
The inline 6-cylinder engines are coupled with the AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G (TCT = Torque-Clutch Transmission) transmission. In conjunction with the torque converter, the automatic transmission is tuned to the special requirements of this engine. On the one hand, this guarantees maximum comfort during pulling away and shifting, while on the other, it allows for AMG-typical rapid and emotive shifting to suit the selected drive program.

Last edited by Flamingi; 05-29-2020 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0