View Single Post
      05-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #317
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Yeah, from your POV you are right. But BMW makes more cash selling an M3 than selling the M340i. So, from their POV these people are doing the correc thing: more money for BMW
Yes, BMW's "M-branding" plan works for BMW. Until the M brand becomes worthless. Which is will if the mass-appeal cars become identical to every other manufacturer's option (Audi/BM).

Quote:
Of course it's sad for enthusiast, but that's the minority, so they don't have the same impact in development. I would also love to see CS or GTS versions without limited production for lower prices... But in the end, it's still the same thing I said like 3 times already, they did buy the right car:
The bought the right car for BMW's profit margin, the wrong car for them (in terms of the way it handles).

With the G80, it will be the right car for BMW's profit, and the right car for their use case. But the wrong car for any driving enthusiast, and eventually that reputation will render the M "brand" worthless.

Quote:
Also, for $5k you can get a F80 Gertrag 7-speed DCT and fit it into the car. There are shops offering that already for the A90 Supra, which should have the same converter as the G80, so it should be possible to do that.
Now that is actually an interesting idea. However, I've never been the kind of person who buys a car and spends $20K modifying it - I bought M cars because I largely didn't need to change things.

The question is... should I spend 20K making a G82 into the car I want (with all the maintenance/warrant hassle that implies), or should I buy an AMG E53 with a DCT and improve the handling?
Appreciate 1