Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
And here you sum up the whole problem.

The M340i was the right car for these people to buy. It's pretty much exactly as fast as the M3, and perhaps even faster for the 'stoplight racing' benchmark that 90% of people use.

Their badge envy (and BMW marketing) made them buy the wrong car.

This is why we end up with 'special editions' like GTS having truly impractical features like water-cooling and a roll-cage, and being stupidly overpriced.

Instead of those variants being aimed at a production run of 250, perhaps these models could aim at a production run of 10,000 and have the "impractical" features that "enthusiast" M owners actually want - e.g. I'd rather pay $5K extra for a transmission that is actually enjoyable for track driving than for a pointless CF bonnet.

This is what the CS version should be IMHO. A car that an enthusiast would want to buy that spends the extra cost on track-centric features.

But then I suppose the M340i folks would just buy the CS model and complain.
Yeah, from your POV you are right. But BMW makes more cash selling an M3 than selling the M340i. So, from their POV these people are doing the correc thing: more money for BMW

Of course it's sad for enthusiast, but that's the minority, so they don't have the same impact in development. I would also love to see CS or GTS versions without limited production for lower prices... But in the end, it's still the same thing I said like 3 times already, they did buy the right car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Because people buy it based on what it is, not what it should be or what some random guy on the internet thinks it should be. I don't know what's so hard about understanding that? Are you telling me, even though the M3 ticks all the boxes of the buyers, it's not the the right car because you think it should have a DCT (even though it has a converter), you think it should be track focused (even though it is just a sportier road car) and you think one should only get an M3 if one appreciates the history of M (even though you can just walk into a BMW dealership and order it no matter what you think about BMW)? Get a reality check, please!
Also, for $5k you can get a F80 Getrag 7-speed DCT and fit it into the car. There are shops offering that already for the A90 Supra, which should have the same converter as the G80, so it should be possible to do that.
Edit: That was for the old supra. So probably not super easy to do that...

Last edited by Flamingi; 05-29-2020 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
pbar1400.00