View Single Post
      05-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #315
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
I'm pretty sure most people don't really care about it being an M (for the heritage/appreciation), they just want a faster M340i and they know M = faster than normal BMW. So they went ahead and got the M3.
And here you sum up the whole problem.

The M340i was the right car for these people to buy. It's pretty much exactly as fast as the M3, and perhaps even faster for the 'stoplight racing' benchmark that 90% of people use.

Their badge envy (and BMW marketing) made them buy the wrong car.

This is why we end up with 'special editions' like GTS having truly impractical features like water-cooling and a roll-cage, and being stupidly overpriced.

Instead of those variants being aimed at a production run of 250, perhaps these models could aim at a production run of 10,000 and have the "impractical" features that "enthusiast" M owners actually want - e.g. I'd rather pay $5K extra for a transmission that is actually enjoyable for track driving than for a pointless CF bonnet.

This is what the CS (or even Comp) version should be IMHO. A car that an enthusiast would want to buy that spends the extra cost on track-centric features.

But then I suppose the M340i folks would just buy the CS model and complain.

Last edited by pbar; 05-29-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 1