First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
It is oxymoron in the sense that you want to be part of experience (BMW M) when you don't really appreciate or care for motorsport spirit. In this case it is not a very logical purchase i.e. buying the wrong car and 550i or B5 would have comparable power and luxurious ride.
Gatekeep much? I'm pretty sure most people don't really care about it being an M (for the heritage/appreciation), they just want a faster M340i and they know M = faster than normal BMW. So they went ahead and got the M3. Also, it's not about appreciation, BMW doesn't care if you appreciate the motorsport spirit, they care about $$$. As long as you buy their cars you can think whatever you want. For the discussion 550i vs M3, it's the same as I wrote before: If you care more about a small sports sedan than the increased luxury offered by the 5 series, the M3 is the better car. Because people buy it based on what it is, not what it should be or what some random guy on the internet thinks it should be. I don't know what's so hard about understanding that? Are you telling me, even though the M3 ticks all the boxes of the buyers, it's not the the right car because you think it should have a DCT (even though it has a converter), you think it should be track focused (even though it is just a sportier road car) and you think one should only get an M3 if one appreciates the history of M (even though you can just walk into a BMW dealership and order it no matter what you think about BMW)? Get a reality check, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
There are other inconsistencies in your assumptions but the biggest fault in your stats is X3M. If you are talking about most sold units in one year perhaps it is, but they have only been out for a year and M3/4 currently have record topping 100K plus units sold over production cycle.

And no, X3 M40i is not an M car so it shouldn't count towards M fleet sales figure. Those buyers are very different from real M demographics.
Yes, the X3 M40i is an M car, it says it right in the model name. It actually legally also is an M car. It is manufactured not by BMW AG, but by M GmbH (at least in Germany, don't know about the situation in other countries). Again, we are not talking about how you think it should be, but we are talking about the reality! Most sold car in 2019 is the X3 series (incl. the X3 M40i/X3 M40d). If you exclude that it's M2 > M5 > M4 > X3M > X4M. I do know this list is affected by the X3M/X4M being released within the year and the M3/M4 buyers knowing the G80 will be released in 2020. But that's not the point, maybe the M3/M4 does outsell the X3M/X4M, but still the X3M is very close.

But we are getting offtopic, so BTT: Most people either don't care if its a DCT or converter (probably the majority) or actually prefer a converter (less than those who are indifferent about it, but still more than the group that prefers the DCT), so BMW did the correct thing and put a converter in the car. Again: Remember this forum has a skewed view.

Last edited by Flamingi; 05-29-2020 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fhey454.50