09-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
The problem is, that what people don't understand is that Tesla is not a car company. It's a tech company that also happens to make cars

At the moment they make the quickest, most efficient and cheapest EVs in the market like it or not. You can compare other sedans or suvs and they are all slower, heavier, less efficient and even more expensive

Other manufactures could make efficient fast EVs too, but 95% of the market could care less.

On top of that you have their AutoPilot tech which is 7-8 yrs ahead of anybody else.
There is no way any other automaker will be able to even get enough AI engineers to make anything even close. Only one that could even try would be Apple and they they already cancelled their car project a couple of times already

I could careless about autopilot unless it will drive me drunk from a bar.

Quality could definitely be better, but you can understand that at the rate they are growing, quality is probably pretty hard to achieve
This should improve with their new GigaCasting where the whole chasis is made of 3 parts, the front casting, the battery/tray, and the rear casting removing 100's of parts and assembly

I actually read up on gigacasting as I find it interesting as an engineer, but that is not where their quality issues are.

Having said that. The 7:30 time doesn't look that impressive. It has 2 times the HP as the M3 and it's about the same lap time :
The difference is you can do laps all day in a M3. You can do just a few in a Tesla.

As I said, I find the speed of a Tesla to be a gimmick. If I am going to drive a boring soulless care I want it to be a quiet luxury EV or to be really functional like say a Rivian. Other than that I think they should just be cheap with range. Tesla really started it all. I think they will do well, but they are about to get real competitive to match their price points. ICE cars will be our future. It is coming. I am excited about it too, but there are trade offs and engineering challenges ahead.
Appreciate 0