10-31-2020, 12:35 PM   #134
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
I'm all for BMW targeting younger markets to keep their brand relevant. I just question whether "collaborations" (if you can even call it that) like this are the means to do it. Prominently featured on BMW USA's homepage today, the BMW KITH page states, "This is a collaboration born of mutual admiration, authentically BMW and Kith in every way." "Two powerful icons come together to create a compelling limited-edition vehicle: the BMW M4 Competition x Kith."

First, my gut reaction as a potential BMW M3 buyer is nausea. KITH is a brand that's been around a handful of years that sells $2 sweatpants for $300 to dumbasses by employing clever marketing tactics (like this and other partnerships with high end luxury brands) and creating artificial scarcity. In short, its product is hype, nothing else. So when BMW gets into bed with a company like them and says they "admir[e]" KITH and that they're both "power icons," it's equating itself with KITH. This makes me immediately question whether BMW is no different than KITH. Is that what BMW is selling me too? Hype? Are their cars essentially no different than $2 sweatpants dressed up and sold for $300? I realize that a decent chunk of the $80k I was (emphasis on was) planning on shelling out for my first M3 was going towards the brand image. If Toyota was making the M3 it'd probably retail for $50k. That's a $30k premium I'm paying for the BMW brand. But that was something I could live with if at the end of the day, I knew I was getting a car with legendary performance that would put a smile on my face with every downshift. I seriously question that now.

Second, if BMW thinks this collaboration is mutually beneficial, it's crazy. This is a one way street. KITH derives enormous benefit from BMW kissing its ass. Indeed, KITH's very existence hinges on "partnerships" like this with global brands that are highly esteemed. The minute those partnerships stop, it's the death knell for KITH. So what does BMW get in return for this "collaboration"? The hope that a 16 y/o who buys a KITH t-shirt today with a BMW logo on it is going to remember that and purchase a BMW 10-20 years down the road when they can afford one? I'm not going to pretend like I'm some marketing guru because I am not and so maybe there is some chance that sales like that will materialize, but honestly it seems like a real stretch to me. And in the mean time, BMW cheapens its brand to people like me who now start to seriously question what they're really buying when they buy a BMW.

Third, and this in part relates to the second point above, KITH won't be around in 10-20 years. Hell, I'm willing to wager it won't be cool in 5 years. Hype has a very short shelf life. It's only cool until everyone has one, and then it's not. (Just ask Supreme, Anti-social social club, and Cross Colours (remember that one? ironically, they tried making a come back in 2014 apparently).) But "cool" is always off to the next hyped brand. Where does that leave BMW's end of the bargain? Imo, BMW is doing itself no favors by whoring itself out to substance-less brands like KITH that will not be around long enough to pay BMW dividends.
Hmmm! Sounds like just about every clothing designer/manufacturer out there.......having clothing produced overseas for pennies on the dollar, but selling them here with a 500% mark-up.
Appreciate 2
Avaley735.00