View Single Post
      10-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #102
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
That link describes the less common meaning of moneyshift. The more common one is missing the gear you really wanted because of agression, caused by muscle tension, and another issue is gripping the gear lever like a pistol instead of gripping it like you were picking an egg out of the carton.

Picture this scenario - you're in a race. First is already selected. You hit redline, and slam it into second. Redline and push it into third. Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into second by mistake. And in the heat of the moment, you release the clutch, the engine revs to about 50% over redline, breaks a lot of internals, and costs you a lot of money. That's a money shift.

But that was described from a LHD perspective - "Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into second by mistake." meaning your right hand has instead of moving the gear lever straight towards the back of the car, it's pulled it also towards your body, hence selecting second.

Now, imagine the same scenario in a RHD car - "Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into sixth by mistake.". In the heat of the moment, you release the clutch, engine revs drop, engine might bog down, you lose the race. But no money shift.

That's the type of money shift I was meaning where LHD vs RHD make a difference - make sense?
If you pull it when you worry. My potential money shift was due to a lack of necessary effort (well, I've been struggling to optimize my efforts in any situation throughout last 30 years) rather than the excessive one as you describe. In another application a typical mistake is making unnecessarily wide movements so they teach you to keep it compact, explicitly. I'm not sure I would really know.

Your struggling to tear off the gear shift lever reminds me of a funny version of a (non-English) song: "I'll come back home and crush the door with my dick. I'll fuck the horse and then the wife.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I discover now you have a MANUAL gearbox..you should have said so no wonder it takes so long for you
No it does not: I use my right foot to brake.

And for those who might still wonder, RHD comes from the convenience of having your "better" fist ready for the oncoming: https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/.
Appreciate 0