View Single Post
      12-21-2023, 11:32 AM   #29
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
I'll offer a counter-Porsche point here to continue the discussion.

Porsche is very good at what they target, the uncompromised sports car. I think BMW is even better at what they target, an all-around sporty sedan/coupe. Porsche targets a very narrow spectrum of buyers with their GT cars, whereas BMW builds a sporty car that caters to a much wider audience, at a much lower price, and still keeps up with Porsche's GTs. For me, that's real engineering and manufacturing.

Many people who have driven front-engine cars majority of their lives, jump into a mid- or rear-engine car with very small suspension travel and think that's how a car should drive. Such a car certainly provides for different sensations, feelings, and dynamics; however, it is not any better necessarily.

Who in their right mind, would drive a GT4RS, a GT3, or GT3RS like you can drive an M3/4? If you have multiple cars, and a Porsche GT is your 3rd or 4th vehicle for the specific purpose of performance driving somewhere, sure! I am in for that, but I would still take a BMW M car over that scenario twice on Sunday.

If you take the aero out of the equation, particularly with the 992 versions of the GT3, the Porsche GTs do not handle any better than the BMW M3/4. And I do not think this is just an opinion, but lap times would back this up. If you compare a 997 GT3 and GT3RS, their lap times are about the same at the 'Ring compared to M counterparts. Those GT3s still had some aero, but nothing significant below 120 mph. The F82 M4 GTS practically ran the same lap time as the famous 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. A 2021 G82 Cx ran practically the same time as the 2018 GT4 and 2016 991.1 GT3. If the GT cars were truly on a different playing field than the BMW Ms, how would those lap times be achieved? Considering that the G82 Cx can clock those lap times and drive four adults with full luggage and take you to your office in comfort in any weather condition at a lower price point should tell you which of the cars are better engineered.

On the other hand, the best part of the Porsche GT3 has been, since 2003, nearly all chassis settings are adjustable; camber, toe, caster, ride height, traction control, differential, etc. For enthusiasts who want an uncompromised track car that is tough to beat. That's been the weakest point of the BMW M cars IMO, but BMW is closing the gap a bit still without compromising all other qualities.

All this said, my point is that the price one pays for getting an uncompromised sports car from Porsche is quite steep, not to mention the actual price paid at the dealer. And, I do believe BMW M makes better cars than Porsche GTs.

If you never tasted a Porsche, go for it, but one should not automatically think they are better.