10-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #88
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It's really not a big deal at all, even with MT. We've had this combination for decades. The tricky time was in the transition period, when we still had more vehicles with the indicator on the R/H side of the wheel. I remember at one time owning and driving one of each, both MT. Much better when we had virtually all vehicles with the indicator on the L/H side of the wheel.

In fact some in the UK, would argue that it is safer, as you keep one hand firmly on the wheel, while the shifter hand can do both functions. There is some merit in that viewpoint, and one I tend to agree with.
I guess I found it frustrating, possibly because it was different to what I was used to when I switched from Japanese to my first BMW, but also because it required extra hand movements - I don't take my hand off the wheel to indicate, I merely extend the forefinger and tap the indicator if its on the opposite side to the gear lever. If it's on the same side, I'm usually changing down well before time to indicate, so it requires moving that hand to indicate - so I'm not sure I'd agree with the argument that it's any safer. Just what you're used to I guess.
Appreciate 0