09-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #29
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Very interesting, wasn't aware of such a steep tax penalty on high emission cars in France. Currently probably part of a minority, but that will definitely change - especially when taking in mind Europe wants to be an ecological leader in the future.

But let's look on the bright side of things: Automakers are forced to invest into alternatives - mainly EV and (P)HEV, which come with their own advantages. I'm pretty sure (from a performance POV only, taking out emotions) future cars will be faster and have less emissions. A remapped 45e can push easily over 500 crank hp while still offering locally emission free driving and significantly reduced combined emmissions even when using both engines. With next gen battery packs, the weight penalty isn't that much anymore and will allow for longer stretches of electric only. A usable milage compared to the handful of miles we were able to drive on last gen PHEVs (15mi last gen, 30-60m current gen, hopefully 60-triple digits mi next gen).

I would really, really want to comment on the EU vs US/"freedom" comments on this thread - but that's getting too political and thats a highly emotional topic. Let's just say I disagree, but I don't think this is the right place to go into detail about that...
Appreciate 0