View Single Post
      01-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #383
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
I don't see it being limited. If cert costs are as much as they say they are they're not going to waste their time with only a couple of hundred units (I say that as a number because that's what I think of as limited when I think of bmw, probably even less).

I was thinking about some thing the other day. There was a study done some years ago by Mercedes where they took a look at the other cars that their customers had. If I remember correctly they found that wagon owners owned more cars then any other type of car owner. For example E class wagon owners owned more cars than S class owners. And that says some thing considering the S class was and still is their flag ship. The study also showed that wagon owners tended to be wealthier than others. They took those findings to suggest that if they can use a wagon to introduce people to their brand that could very well lead to those customer purchasing more cars from them.

OK so fast forward to 2021. Now you have two other major German manufacturers (three if you include Porsche and their cross turismo) Who are offering high performance wagons. Assuming the logic still stands from that Mercedes study, one could make the argument that customers who are denied a bmw wagon may go to one of the others and be swayed to replace a bmw they already have with something from the competitors, in addition to the wagon.

Could be something there.
Buyers of the MB E series wagon had the highest income levels of any car buyers up until a few years ago. Higher than Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Haven't seen recent numbers, but it probably still holds true today.

We currently have two wagons, a Volvo V90 for my wife and 328i for my son. Will swap out the V90 at some point for something faster since I hate driving it. Have thought about an RS6 or Sport Turismo, but would prefer a G81 over both of those.
Appreciate 0