01-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #71
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Camus0 View Post
I pulled the trigger on this for a few reasons:

1- Not saying anything wrong about JB4, but is not for everyone. I never figured it out how to get rid of the throttle closures, I was told just to put it in comfort mode and be happy.

2- Removing the CEL in diagnostic mode every time is a bit annoying. The VPN "hack" doesn't work anymore.

3- Ecutek - I think this is something new to the BMW community, most people here are used to BM3 and MHD, but only people coming from the GTR, BRZ and recently the MKV community, knows the platform.

It's quite nice:

- Ability to flashing offline (no need for internet)
- Many parameters to log
- Racerom support (multi map switching, flex fuel, burbles config, rolling anti lag, etc)
- Nice pool of tuners
- No CEL
- No speed limit
- Custom gauges

I have Ecutek on the Supra, before that I had BM3 OTS maps, it's night and day difference, granted, it's a custom tune in Ecutek and I think you could get a nice result with BM3 too, but the car feels like stock with more power and if you check the logs, the timing is beautiful, zero knock, etc.

Depends on your tuner, but it can expose the E % level in the dashboard, adjust the burbles aggressiveness in real time, switch maps in real time, the rolling anti lag and the seamlessly integration with the flex fuel kit, it's worth it.

I can't wait to have the custom tune on my base G82, with no throttle closures and proper Competition boost levels

Right now the supra spanks the G82 easily with E50 (high 10s @ 126 mph) but the G82 should be able to do high 9s in the 135 mph range...
This is an impressive host of features, good to hear from satisfied customers too. My custom E70 BM3 tune through Paul Johnson sounds like your Ecutek tune though, so this is more about platforms than tuners.

I know it has been covered a bit, but if you or Marshall could explain how the flex fuel and map switching works it would be appreciated.

Are different base tunes still required for the various fuels you use?

Let say for example someone switches between 98 and E50 depending on the day / week.

I assume they still have to have pre-loaded up a 98 tune and an e50 tune to begin with?

If switching from E50 to a 98 blend, would you switch to the 98 tune or just let the flex fuel system adjust the boost / timing as it detects a change in fuel?

Still confused about when the flex fuel does its thing vs when you have to physically change maps. Offline maps is a big positive though. While the BM3 system is good I've been caught out a few times due to internet reception issues, server issues and connection issues.
Appreciate 0