View Single Post
      10-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Listening to this sounds like there was a lean towards smoothness over track ability, and I would guess the feedback on DCT for DD was more of an influence than the track crowd.

I would also venture that putting in a DCT in the G80 would have been another powertrain permutation and higher cost than using the same platform as the m5.

Out of the many iterations of this discussion, the only "reasons" for the change that make sense are:

1. Not continuing to use a transmission that was no longer used by the majority of M cars. The ZF already found it's way into the M5, various X M's, and the M8.

The common thread in all those vehicles AND the G80/82 are:

2. AWD. This is the end of the line reason, I think. The ZF8 is BMW's AWD transmission for it's RWD-based platforms. Dollars to donuts, it likely made zero sense to figure out how to get the DCT to work with AWD, or offer two automated gearboxes to keep the RWD Comp DCT when they already had a proven M version of the transmission. If the ZF8 had failed to work well on the M8 and M5, maybe it would would have been different, but the pairing was a success so this is what's offered.

Seriously, I think AWD took your DCT.
Appreciate 0