View Single Post
      08-16-2023, 07:50 AM   #1
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Car guys/gals: people always want advice

Since I'm the "car guy" people are always asking me for advice, help, etc. That's fine. But here's the most recent one, and I'm perturbed and would like to hear others' opinions on this.

Background: Youngest stepson has a friend (not quite a former girlfriend, but close) who is around 23 or so... she has many family issues so no one there can help her, so she's asked me for advice on buying her first car. She doesn't make much money...

She sent us a link to a 2015 Mini Cooper. I was surprised how cheap (in this market) it is, around $11K for a car with only 87K miles, but in my opinion, it's not worth that because underneath it's all BMW and although I am a blue & white fanbois, I also recognize the potential money pit that an older BMW can be. For someone who knows nothing, can't work on a car, has no friends that can work on her car, and who lives in the boonies far from the dealer, I think it's a bad choice.

So the wife asks me what we should do, and I said "nothing". She's not the kid's GF, we can't save the world, and I'm a little wary of saying "buy this" because if the car turns out to be a POS, I'm going to feel guilty and the wife may want to help her out, financially. She's a soft touch, the wife.

So, all I said was "have her do her own research on what is a good car, good price, and always, without exception, get a PPI done before buying it." I also recommended, generally, to look at a Honda or Mazda.

Any other ideas, suggestions, warnings, for me to consider here?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0