View Single Post
      03-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #31
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The HK system in the X3M is good not great and I expect this will be the case for these cars. That said how you set the EQ makes a massive difference and from a lot of the EQ threads I see here too many people have them set up to produce horrible sound cranking up all the bands. The best audio reproduction is with most of the bands at or near flat levels.
Absolutely. And small cuts should always be the first step when tuning a system, not pumping up one band or the low-Q Bass/Treble control.

My biggest disappointment with these systems is that they give us zero timing control. Some lower-end cars are coming with actual timing adjustments now, and it would make a huge difference. Having to use Balance and Fade to adjust for being too close to one driver pair doesn't work well enough.

In my last couple of cars, tuned by a local well-known shop in my F30's and then my M2C where I did the work, timing was more important than anything else. A few inches off on the timing ruined the sound.

I've been told by many folk that Bluetooth and Car Play sound better than they used, but switching to either "wireless" source instead of the flash drive with FLAC files that I usually use results in a significant decrease in audio quality. It's terrible. And streamed music isn't any better. If the source is bad, the sound is bad.
Appreciate 0