View Single Post
      01-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #25
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
@evanescent03 Did you put in your own system to the M6? If so, what? - Well, no, I didn't do the installation myself (I leave that to experts), but played a role in deciding how to build it. The goal was simply to create great listening experience with enough power and quality to cover all "expected" listening situations I could foresee, and retain OEM look. Naturally, to retain the head unit was a non-negotiable, and didn't want to make new holes for speakers. Also, I'm of an opinion that the surround systems are really only ways to "hide" bad quality by making the sound field less easy to identify - kind of "fix noise with additional noise", if that makes sense, but doesn't really solve for the sound quality fundamentally.

The challenges were a) standard speaker placement and sizes, b) the canbus interface and c) low frequencies. First, the F-series front speaker placement and sizes don't really leave too many options, and from sound quality perspective front speakers are the crucial ones (if you don't need to design something specifically for rear sear passengers), rear speakers are really there only to create "space" to the sound. So, selected Focal split system with a separate crossovers and also replaced the under seat 8" woofers with better quality ones from Focal. Same Focal splits went into rear doors as well, mainly to make sure they are balanced with the front speakers. Also, proper sound deadening materials were put into all doors (inside the trims).

Secondly, iDrive 6 introduced changes to the canbus and compatibility with aftermarket D/A modules. I had previously used mObridge in other builds, this allows for aftermarket DSP and amplifiers to be connected via canbus. Luckily,my installer had a good relationship with the local mObridge rep who designed a software upgrade to their standard DA1 device. With that available, they were able to use Mosconi DSP/6-channel digital amp that also has a preamp out for a separate monoblock amp for the sub (used a SoundStream amp for that). There is also a small extra remote for the Mosconi, this is neatly fitted to the rear end of the centre storage, under the folding lids, so effectively out of sight, and I think I have used it to change anything maybe 3 times in nearly 3 years...

Then the low frequency problem... I always knew that a separate high quality sub would be required. My installer designed and built a custom passive enclosure (appr. 50 litres) that was installed into the trunk more or less permanently. The biggest sacrifice was that smaller half of the rear seat is no longer really something that can be turned down, and obviously the sub takes some space in the trunk (there just isn't enough space in the sides of the trunk to fit a proper enclosure, and I wanted to retain the full width at the rear end to be able to easily fit a golf bag.

Apologies for the long explanation, but not really a simple way to explain this all... The end result is sensational, though. What really surprised me was that the Mosconi amp is only rated as 6x60 W, but that comes without practically any distortion. I don't think I have ever turned the volume up to higher than half - after that I'd need to run out from the car as it would be just too loud, but still completely distortion free and clear. You need a good sound source, though, as with that quality the source makes a huge difference.

Oh, final comment... The total cost of the build, including all gear and installation would have been somewhere in the range of $7k AUD, so give or take $5k USD - don't need to spend a fortune...

Hope this helps?
Great info thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts and execution down!

This seems like a very reasonable price considering you likely got (much?) better sound from the custom setup for similar money as the premium system offered by BMW.

Question is.. am I really enough of an audiophile to put the energy into doing this ... time will tell.

Thanks again and enjoy the setup!

Appreciate 0