View Single Post
      03-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #193
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Found this post from Jason Camissa really interesting.

"Track Mode V2 Verdict: does donuts, but it’s no Taycan. ⁣

I’m not usually disappointed by Tesla’s tech, and I absolutely love that the team keeps rolling out “unnecessary” upgrades that keep their owners engaged, excited, and enthralled. Track Mode V2 is one of those. Bravo.⁣

But it’s not exactly what it says it is. When I move the slider to 100/0 bias, I expect the rear motor to be switched off. It ain’t.⁣ Floor it, and the car pulls 0.9g of lateral acceleration. In the wet. A FWD car would max out well below half that. It’s using all 4 wheels until it suddenly decides not to.⁣

I didn’t try the car on a track (everything is closed, let’s not forget) but I did find a parking lot and did some donuts in the name of science.⁣ In 0/100 mode (100% rear) with lots of lock, it starts out by again powering all four wheels, then suddenly and abruptly transitions to 100% rear. It’s tough to catch the slide, but if you do, you can absolutely do donuts.⁣

But I wouldn’t be playing with this setting on the street. Because of the inconsistent behavior, you could easily misjudge where the Front motor switches off and wind up in a tree. Or a curb. Or a baby stroller.…or a Coronavirus-mask production factory. Ouch.⁣

On track, at sustained high Gs in a long corner, I suspect the bias differences are more obvious. But on the street, it’s inconsistent and doesn’t actually do what the slider says it’s doing.⁣

As a yardstick, I use the Taycan. It has no FWD/RWD slider, which is a shame: except it doesn’t need it. Boot the accelerator, and it behaves just like an AWD 911: rear-bias first to initiate the slide, then just enough power up front to help you hold — not fix — the drift. Blip and you get power to the rear. Sustain and it fades forward. It’s almost completely intuitive, natural, and outrageously easy to control.⁣

If the Taycan is a 8/10 on the natural-and-predictable scale, the Tesla is a 3.⁣ The best thing about Tesla? It’ll probably just be upgraded via over-the-air update.⁣"