Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Build:
6MT
Carbon Buckets
Carbon Exterior Package
Full Silverstone Interior
Bicolor 826M Wheels
M Driving Package

Every option except Carbon Ceramics for a total MSRP of $94 and change.

I put down a deposit nearly 20 months ago to get the first car (which ended up being the first 6MT allocation). I was very unhappy with the color palette (was hoping for Yas Marina Blue) and it took 3 attempts to get BMW to approve Fire Orange II Individual. I have had the car ~24 hours and have experienced every type of driving situation from bumper to bumper traffic in Brooklyn to spirited driving around the back roads of Long Island's North Shore.

Driving Experience: The car is so competent that it just doesn't elicit any emotional response, at least not yet. Coming from my F80 CS and my prior base F80, those cars tried to kill you each time you drove them. This car wants to be friends. That was a criticism often seen in driving reviews and I would think to myself "what a silly criticism." In reality, having driven it the car was improved upon in every respect and it's truly amazing what BMW pulled off here. From what I experienced yesterday, BMW have basically eliminated any feeling of body roll even at speeds in excess of 100 mph while taking turns that put the car in maybe .8 lateral G (estimated). It is a strange feeling. Pushing a car and eliciting nothing other than compliance.

All This Improvement = Less Feeling of Danger, and Less Feeling of Danger = Less Adrenaline.

With that being said, I am really looking forward to tracking this car later in the summer.

Manual Transmission: The amount of resistance needed to throw gears was either increased from prior models or the gear box needs to be "broken in." I have been nursing a right arm rotator cuff injury and had surgery in November. I have been able to weight train for many months and after driving the car for 30 min my infraspinatus tendon told me to go f*ck myself. However, the clutch feels great and grabs in a predictable way. I have a clutch stop going in ASAP.

One thing I am really enjoying in this car compared to my manual F80 is the ability to cruise in heavy traffic in 2nd gear without downshifting into 1st. If I went below 8-9 mph in 2nd gear it would start to shimmy and stall in the F80. I can go down to 4 mph in the G80 without the car stalling out. This is a total game changer in NYC bumper-to-bumper traffic. I went 6 miles on the belt parkway in Brooklyn this morning. This is the only East/West Highway in the most populous borough of NYC. I did not go into 1st gear once and didn't have to depress the clutch.

Bucket Seats: I really hope I don't regret this option. I hope it's just a matter of getting used to them like the ZCP seats in my CS. I am 39 years old, in great shape, I'm 5'9" and 180 pounds. I have a 33" waste but I lift a lot and have a 45" chest/back. I BARELY fit in these things....getting in and out, no problem. I'm agile as sh*t. Driving in them so far has been anything other than comfortable. If you suspect that you may not fit in these seats, you don't fit in these seats.

Steering: Feels better than my Base F80 but not as good as my CS in terms of road feedback. It is a little tighter even in comfort mode. I prefer looser steering feel and always drive in comfort, even on track. Comfort seems to be similar to Sport mode in the F80 in terms of the resistance required to turn the wheel. The input required to turn the car is less which feels amazing around a turn. To throw the car into a tight turn without much input feels slightly video-gamish but is really cool. The steering wheel is barely 2 turns lock to lock (one in each direction barely from dead center. I believe my CS was 1.25 turns in each direction.

Exhaust: Non-existent. Nothing to even discuss. Will address with mods.

Infotainment/Interior: Having a lot of issues with the HUD. It defaults to "road" mode and will NOT change to Sport or Track mode. No matter how many times I change the setting it doesnt change the HUD mode. Other than that, the interior is amazing. So many small details I have yet to take in.

Conclusion: Couldn't wait to get out of bed today and drive the G80. Now that I am at my desk, I can't wait to drive them G80 after work. I can't believe how amazing this car looks and drives. I have gotten so much love and positive feedback on the road (despite what the naysayers warned about people "pointing and laughing").

The last picture is NOT mine (was posted on another thread). However, that is the most accurate photo in terms of how the color actually looks. It has a soft cream hue to it that makes it all the more amazing.
Appreciate 0