View Single Post
      09-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

HUD: Google Maps or Apple Maps for Nav?

I am personally a Google Maps guy. I started off with Motorola and Samsung smart phones, so just got used to using Google Maps exclusively before switching over to iPhones.

It's no different in my G82 where I switch over to Carplay and use the Google Maps app for navigation. I'm just used to the interface, layout, and voice...it's all just familiar to me.

ENTER my girlfriend. She LOVES to be the passenger/shotgun DJ during our drives. With all the technology and apps at her fingertips, she actually PREFERS using regular ol' FM radio. She also refuses to use presets as she likes the randomness of just scrolling through stations (especially during road trips where we don't know the local stations). This proves to be a problem because now I can't see the Google Map directions as she's going through radio stations and I'm just driving blind until she switches back to carplay and/or the nav voice jumps in to tell me the next step.

HOWEVER, there was one time where I accidentally used Apple Maps. I think I clicked on a address link and it just took me to Apple maps instead of Google maps. Rather than type in the address into Google maps, just decided to use Apple maps this time. It was GLORIOUS. The freaking directions show up in the HUD!!! I no longer had to look at the main screen to figure out my next direction and my girlfriend can do whatever she wants on the radio.

That being said, old habits die hard and I still like to use Google Maps due to the familiarity. Is there any way Google Maps can use the HUD feature as well?

Sorry for the long post. I'm a the service center currently and bored.
Appreciate 0