View Single Post
      09-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #17
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I loved the design right from the start. I thought the front end was daring and the proportions of the 4 series concept were spot on. I think it's about time BMW broke from the traditional slow evolving German auto mfgs like Audi, Porsche, VW, etc. You can hardly tell when a new Audi or Porsche or VW comes out b/c they look so similar to past designs... even ones 2 generations ago.

When I saw the M3 and M4 reveal and official photos and videos, I was blown away. I even like most of the M perf parts and the quad exhaust in particular.

The only things I have a problem with are not the things that people usually complain about:

1. Don't like those hood scallops at all. Destroys the flow of the front hood.

2. On the M3, the rear flares could be better integrated like the rear flares on the F80 which seems to flow better into the doors. On the G80, the rear flares are almost perpendicular to the doors and there's a mishmosh of shapes. BMW couldn't decide if they wanted the rear flares to be radial like on an F80 or horizontal like on an E30 so from various angles it looks like a mix of radial and horizontal flares.

3. I wanted to try an M4 next and was hoping they improved the flares on the M4 as the F82 had really subtle ones and they looked too similar to a regular 4 series. Unfortunately, the G82 flares are even more subtle. i can't even tell if the rear is wider than a 4 series. Thankfully, there are a lot of other styling details on the G82 that easily differentiates it from the 4 series - unfortunately just not the way too subtle fender flares.

4. M performance parts - love most of them except for the rear wing and the side skirts and rear skirt w/ those protruding vetical slats.

Aside from these minor quibles, I've really enjoyed all the pictures and videos and I think the new M is an excellent and daring evolution from the F8X generation.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
VetteGuy845.50