View Single Post
      01-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
E36 PWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G07 X7, F30 335i, E46 M3

Smile G80 M3 with F92 M8 Styling - Render

First, I want to preface by stating that this is just for fun. I am not an automotive designer, heck, I hardly even dwell in the graphic design world anymore. My intent isn't to blast the current design, or to send a statement to anyone. Love or hate the render, don't take it too seriously. Again, it's just for fun.

I have always loved the design of the M8, and wanted to see how those elements would translate onto the G80. My goal was to make a design that blended the M3 and M8, and to smooth out some of the clunkiness that I felt in the current design of the G80. Below are the designs, and list of modifications:

Front Bumper:
Essentially a swap over of the front bumper from the M8. The M8 is much larger, lower, and longer, so the bumper had to be properly proportioned to fit onto the G80. Mainly it had to be made taller. Hood and hood-line was also carried over from the M8. I would have liked to have seen a power dome, but I was being lazy. Maybe in the future I will add one.

Side Grills:
One of the first things on the G80 that caught my eye was how unfinished the side grills look. It looks like BMW started making them then stopped 1/3rd of the way through. I thought they should continue downwards towards the side skirt more, following the crease they made in the fender. Again, using the side grill from the M8, re-shaping and re-proportioning, I was able to come up with something I thought looked much more purposeful.

Side Skirt:
The blacked out portion of the G80's side skirt looked really clunky to me; Aftermarket, and not in a good way. I smoothed out and "painted" the side skirt to match the body color. I used the shape of the current side skirt protrusion on the G80, shrunk it down, and moved it to the bottom of the side skirt. I thought this was a cleaner solution, while still maintaining extension BMW had established.

Rear Bumper:
Like the side skirts, the blacked out portions BMW added to the rear bumper made the whole thing look clunky. First, I deleted them by adding the lower section of the M8 rear bumper. Next I took the triangular "vent" and reflector from the M8, and integrated it into the horizontal line that extends from the trunk to the rear bumper. Only the edge of the rear diffuser had to be reshaped to work with the new shape of the bumper.

Other:
Car got a subtle drop, window tint and debadge on the rear. The color is Hockenheim Silver. The original images are from BMW's Individual Visualizer.

Last edited by E36 PWR; 01-12-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 6
seis-speed2440.00
PLF693770.00
slcook541863.00
Ilyam5897.50
Lee808230.50