11-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #28
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
No. Meaning all the people that are going to run out of battery juice sitting on the side of the freaking road. It’s going to be catastrophic.
I appreciate this dystopian view, but its the wrong dystopia.

IMO this is the plan - I work for the company that is enabling it through massive technological capability in autonomous driving. I see the branded rigs up and down I45 in Texas every month, learning. You may have seen the minivans running around Socal, and Arizona...Nuff said.

Soon (in our lifetime), private citizens will not own cars. Period. They will be too expensive to. The resources to build them will be too scarce, and the operating expense will lock most people out of the market. Its actually not a bad idea, when you consider the utilization rates of a depreciating asset. Car shares are a much more efficient way of solving for transportation needs... Auto manufacturers know this. Automobiles are not following moores law, the tech should be getting cheaper, but it isnt, its getting more expensive.

How will this happen? Easy, by making replacement cost too high, by making gasoline too expensive, the private citizen will attrition out of the market. When Gas is $25/Gallon, a $75 Autonomous taxi ride will be cost effective for commuting to work, especially because the most expensive part (the human driver) has been removed.

EVs are just one leg of the future of transportation stool...Enjoy your car while you can, but eventually, you will be unable to repair it, and off it will go forever....