01-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #677
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
That is what BMW insider Scott said, that American enthusiasts wanted this change. I have been on here since 2009, never once saw anyone complain about the kidney grilles on the M3.

I also, have never wanted the M3 to be even more differentiated from the regular 3 series. The F80 looked perfect with the added M-bits, but some people modded their cars to their personal tastes going for their menacing look. They were able to do so with the aftermarket and make it their own.

BMW could have offered a certain package for those that wanted a certain look, I will never be convinced the entire M3 formula needed to change for people to buy this car.

As for sales, I hope it succeeds, since a manual transmission is on offer and I am also warming up to the looks slightly and hope in person I like it more, but I would have preferred the M340i front with M bits, like the formula has been for decades.

I always thought that the M cars and similar cars in other brands always had almost an intangible look that I couldn't put my finger on that just gave them a more aggressive look. I know what those parts are on the M cars because I know the cars, but before I owned M's and knew much about them they always had this slightly more distinctive look with just that extra little bit of edginess. I also can't say I ever thought they needed to be a ton different than the regular models, but rather just enough to make even the casual observer realize that there is something unique and special about that car.
Appreciate 0