Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Truthfully......

....that the narratives presented/depicted by the media regarding use(s) of force are bullshit. If I could take every person I knew on a ride along - all liability waived - and have them handle the dangerous calls, they would finally have perspective. Tonight we pulled a gun off of a 13 year old Hispanic female runaway; 105 lbs. soaked and wet. She called dispatch claiming she was lost and didn't know how to get home. A search of her person netted a gun; I noticed a suspicious bulge under her black hoodie. You would've never guessed somebody like her would have a Walther tucked in her underwear.

I think the community could be more supportive by just allowing investigations to take their natural course before vilifying the cop. A body cam doesn't paint the entire picture and the insight it provides is helpful, but limited.
One of the most egregious examples of this ill-informed armchair quarterbacking was a case near me where several units responded to a call of a guy acting erratically and brandishing a sword. Four or five cops had their pistols on him, in a small bedroom, talking with him and trying to de-escalate. He lunged at one of the cops with the sword raised and they all fired, as expected. They guy went down and died on the scene.

The news media expressed shock and outrage that all the cops fired at him, and that he was hit so many times. In addition to being sensational and disrespectful, it demonstrates a profound and willful ignorance of what cops are up against on every shift, and how few options they have in some situations. Everyone with any sense was appalled at how the media handled this, but the media have still not learned to show restraint and patience when it comes to covering use-of-force stories. Even in the era of body cams, important context can be missing if that's all that's taken into account in analyzing an incident.
Very well articulated.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00