captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
I would stipulate that the ZF8 is not a "traditional " auto transmission. I will bet there will be quite a few people pleasantly surprised at the performance of the new M3 and M4 , including the ZF8. I can't wait to see the them
It is a "traditional" auto transmission in the sense that it has planetary gear sets and a torque converter so its technologically similar to the "slushboxes" of years past but in terms of performance it is head and shoulders above the ATs of a generation ago. Due to the lock up of the torque converter once the car is moving, the extremely fast shift times, auto rev matching, etc. it gives the DCT a run for its money and tends overall to be smoother shifting (which contrary to public opinion is not a bad thing).

Things to take into consideration:

1. Both transmissions can shift faster than the blink of an eye which ranges from 300 to 400 milliseconds.
2. Both transmission shift faster than the best professional race drivers can shift a manual transmission.
3. Realistically, what are we doing with these cars on public roads where shift speeds that are faster than the blink of an eye will make a difference?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00