kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
Problem with most DCTs nowadays (for front engines) is that they have no room to grow and can't handle as much torque as the good torque converters.
812 Superfast has 720Nm of max torque(revs to 8500 rpm) and uses the same good old Getrag 7 speed DCT from 458 with some modifications. Panamera uses ZF 8 speed DCT rated at 1000Nm for both RWD and AWD configurations. Even if in unlikely case that G80 M3 is rated around 700Nm, I don't buy the torque logic.

Gotta say though, with Van Meel moving up to the total vehicle development department, we'll see more of AWD based chassis.. eventually all BMWs will be AWD for better driveability and more complexity. Heydays of 3 year lease BMWs.

Good thing BMW is creating pure version, but engineers should aspire to be more creative when they are releasing a new model- not just some high-end tuner level turbocharging and DME mapping seen on F90.
Can't help but think that BMW M these days went from a completely distinguished car from production 3 series to a tuned up 340i. They try to appeal driving dynamics with simple interior and ergonomics yet let go of making unique transmissions and engines.